Purpose of this blog:
To ask questions about fields I only have a foot into (politics, the economy) and seek advice from experts and hear follow up questions from novices alike. Basically, I'll find interesting articles and relay anecdotes in topics I only have my feet wet in (such as economic and historical trends), and you'll fill it in, or learn from someone else knowledgable filling it in. Think of it as an ongoing conversation (footsies!) between intelligent people who are very far away. I put the questions (and you too, ask away), and you fill in the blanks, using knowledge, anecdotes, and even plain opinions. Yes, you: college student, 25 year old employee and 50 year old wise man.
Something tells me this was what the internet was supposed to be meant for: joint collaboration and dissemination of knowledge. Not that facebook isn't great for some things, but overdone self-branding and self-concious machoism, in my opinion, can be detrimental. Basically, I'm trying to funnel all "important" information, and bypass the massive unimportant junk that comes with facebook and facebook statuses.
I will talk about things I know more about, such as basketball and education and I'll share ideas from articles and experiences with the intent to learn from you (Prof Weisskopf, Dan Barto, Marty Schneiderman, person I've only e-mail corresponded with), but at the same time I will ask naive questions about psychology, business, and cultural affairs. A disclaimer: I am not an expert. Generalities will be contrived, errors may be committed. Correct me.
Ultimately, I want to think aloud in a communal space, and advance our discussion even when we're not in the same physical space. Using Gladwellian terminology, some of you guys are experts in certain subjects, you're mavens. Some of you guys know many people and enjoy bridging them together, you're connectors. Some of you are just friends and family I enjoy conversing with.
Recently I've been pretty snobby with regards to the internet. I've complained about a lack of a real connection but that's only because I've thought about it the wrong way. There are some great discussions and connections being made, and this blog is an attempt at fostering them. So poke around, see what you like, and contribute.
Recently I've been pretty snobby with regards to the internet. I've complained about a lack of a real connection but that's only because I've thought about it the wrong way. There are some great discussions and connections being made, and this blog is an attempt at fostering them. So poke around, see what you like, and contribute.
No comments:
Post a Comment