Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Book Notes: I Am Charlotte Simmons

I am Charlotte Simmons by Tom Wolfe follows the ambitious and beautiful girl from the south, the aspiring but outwardly meek intellectual, the athlete undergoing a personal renaissance, and the fraternity member doing his thing, and the effect is an expo of what the modern university is really like.

Some great quotes:

p. 277 "Oh yeah. Up 'to then, students like us used to just go to graduate school and become college teachers. But after that,a new intellectual comes on the scene: the bad-ass. The bad-ass is sort of a rogue intellectual. A bad-ass doesn't want to do anything so boring and low paid and like...codified...as teaching. The bad-ass types, they're the types who don't want to spend their twenties, they don't want to spend the prime of life as a graduate student cooped up in some cubicle up in the stacks of the library. You're an intellectual, but you want to operate on a higher level. This is a new millennium, and you want to be a member of the millennial aristocracy, which is a meritocracy, but an aristo-meritocracy. You're a mutant...You're not just some dealer in ideas who's content to sell the ideas of a Marx or a Freud or a Darwin to the unenlightened...you're going to create the new matrixes yourself, or matrices I guess it is, if you see what I'm saying?"

p. 455 "'would you call yourself a fan?'...'Not in the way most fans are fans...'Well, I guess I mean I'm interested in what makes fans fans.' He wanted to say, 'Why on earth do Dupont University students with average SATs of fourteen-ninety get excited, scream their hearts out over 'their ' basketball team--which is made up of a bunch of hired mercenaries who probably wouldn't average nine hundred without the swimmies--who live a life completely apart from the real students, who feel infinitely superior to them, who eat better food in a better dining room, who have tutors to do their schoolwork for them, who say you ain't, he don', and nome saying?, who look upon friendly student fans as either sluts or suck-ups--why are they fans of such people?' But not even the egoist in Adam could push him that far."


No comments: