Keeping a journal (or call it a notebook, if you prefer) is one of the best ways to be intentional in your development as a person and a player.
It forces you to be accountable. It is a space for you to declare yourself your dreams ("I will make the NBA") and how you will reach them ("I will wake up 6 AM, 5 days a week to get a few hundred shots up") as well as a place to check in how you did ("I only got up 3 out of 5 days--how bad do I want it?").
It also becomes a space to reflect on a game you just played ("how did I do? What can I do better? What is the problem here? What does he do that I can do?") as well as the game in general ("What are my strengths, weaknesses? What are the next steps to improving these? What is my identity as a player?").
Brian McCormick's theory of Long Term Athletic Development (or LTAD) suggests the importance of being great at 18, not necessarily 12. Some of his main points are play other sports before specializing, and do not peak early (Parents: read this, and this). I will add that If you want to play in college, have a vision of what type of player you’ll be at that age. Will you most likely be a guard? Then start working on your guard skills early on.
When I was training I committed the crime of paralysis by analysis: I didn’t know the best way to train so I spent more time researching how to train instead of playing. When I mustered up the courage to ask Dan Barto, one of the best developmental coaches there is, what exactly is the best way to train, he said simply, play games, and also, be a kid. Work on specific skills, but when in doubt, play against bigger and better players, being reflective about what’s working and not working. Focus on building your mental toughness.
A quick anecdote: after a two-year hiatus from serious basketball, I returned to form at IMG, playing against current and future college basketball players. Surprisingly, I played the best basketball of my life. How? The time off built up a reserve of hunger and mental strength. Coaching allowed me to analyze what great players did and it also gave me a sense of authority. I had a chip on my shoulder; these kids were college players and I had to prove myself every time on the court. I took on an identity as a player: I was perhaps the least athletic but I vowed to be the savviest and most competitive player on the court.
The Takeaway Point: Long Term development suggests that you set your sights to the future. Keep a journal for doses of inspiration and reflections on your game. Reflection is the only way you’ll consciously be able to change habits.
No comments:
Post a Comment