My imaginary 18-year-old apprentice asks me the following:
How should I start
thinking about what I’d like to do with my life?
Someone once gave me some interesting food for thought: "never listen to adults about your career plans unless a) they provided your genetic material b) they attempted something brave and noble during their life c) they are absurdly successful (not moderately or even very...absurdly)".
My answer is below the fold:
Figure out who you are. I’m not talking about “finding yourself” or any of that crap. I’m talking about figuring out 1) your talents, which include both the genetic gifts & defects that were bestowed upon you as well as the cultural training & abilities you’ve developed during your brief 18 years on this planet, 2) your interests, which include what you enjoy doing and 3) your values, which include the ideas you believe in and types of projects you want to support.
I’ll give you an example by defining my own talents,
interests, and values (as they currently stand). For me, it helps to start with
my weaknesses. I know that I will most likely suck at anything that
involves either technical skill or work that doesn't engage and inspire me. This eliminates around 99% of potential employment opportunities.
For something that does captivate me, however, I have a natural ability to focus, even obsess, over it. My
insatiable curiosity allows me to spend hours and days and years working on the
same thing. And I have: with basketball, with reading, with writing. I experiment, tinker, and discover new
and creative ways to practice what I enjoy doing. Ever since I was 7 I’ve been
designing curriculums, syllabi, and practice plans for myself and others.
These talents –
working with people, exploring big questions, and designing curriculums to get
better – also, fortunately, happen to be my interests. The fact that my abilities and
interests are narrow makes things surprisingly easier — I can focus on the
things that match my talents and interests, and avoid those that don't.
Note: Our talents and interests don’t always go
hand-in-hand. Sometimes we enjoy what we’re good at. Other times our interests
are more difficult to discern and, instead of demarcating specific topics, we can pick
out specific patterns or tendencies. Perhaps, regardless of the activity, you're a natural leader. Or, perhaps, you're a perfectionist who thrives working on a
deadline. Or maybe you’re a generalist who loves starting projects but has a tougher
time dedicating your 100% to them.
In addition, it helps to know what the F you believe in (weakly held),
otherwise known as your values. You
may know that you couldn’t ever work at Goldman Sachs. You may know that you
value financially providing for your future family above all else. You may know that you
value living near your family, or maintaining your religious involvement, or
allocating time for your hobbies. Whatever it is, you know – or discover – when something feels so you, and when something doesn’t.
If talents and interests are what you like and what you're good at, your values are what you want. Here are some questions to help you define that: Are you pursuing
Greatness, Truth, Happiness, or some other capitalized non-proper noun? In which way:
Politics? Art? Parenthood (to name a few)? Do you value travel opportunities, financial
security, or a bohemian lifestyle? Do you want to "help people" right away by working
with a NGO or non-profit or do you want to make loads of money and help
that way? Can you only be satiated by pursuing your passion for a living or would you prefer an entree of financial stability with a dose of your passion on the side? Are you risk averse or risk loving? Do you want a Career or a
Calling? (I hope this isn't overwhelming; I don't know the answers to these questions yet, though I do have hunches).
Thinking about your talents, interests, and values is a good way to start thinking about how you'd like to spend your time. It takes a different thought process to think about what types of things the Market may reward you for. You could be a passionate and talented violinist, and believe in it with all your heart, but if the market won’t acknowledge it – that is, you’re not good enough to make a living from it -- then you haven't found a "match", financially speaking. Justin Wehr, in this and that post, advises the development of skills that are rare, interesting, and valuable. Jim Collins has written about this. Cal Newport, too.
Given this analysis, what type of work could I do? Any
field where I can develop and exploit a niche. Any field that involves leading,
teaching, and thinking with people. Anything that involves designing
curriculums. I couldn’t be an engineer, or an economist, or work a job that
didn’t involve connecting with people in some way. But I could work in schools,
policy, journalism, and the business world, to name a few places, as long as
it’s the right position and with the right people.
A few follow up
points:
-- Don’t think about this too much. Usually these answers
involve a combination of experience and introspection, and develop overtime. Be flexible: You can’t plan your life in advance because you’ll be
exposed to opportunities that you would have never foreseen. I don’t have a 5
or 10 year plan; I only have a vision for the types of work I’d like to do and
the person I’d like to become. That could adapt as I evolve and my circumstances
change.
-- You can have a kick-ass job, be #1 on your
team/firm/class, but most of your thoughts and memories will surround your
friendships and relationships. Financial success won't, in my opinion, will make up
for gaps in your relationships.
-- And, lastly, I don’t know anything -- and not (only) in that
“the wise man knows nothing” kind of way.
(Thanks to Alex Lumley for helping me work through these ideas).
(Thanks to Alex Lumley for helping me work through these ideas).
No comments:
Post a Comment