Sunday, July 4, 2010

Freestyle

When once I answered freestyling to the question of what do you wish you were proficient at, my professor replied, of course you do, implying the connotations of a white-suburban kid trying to be ironic.

And that's what it was when I first started doing it. But then I watched the documentary Freestyle: the Art of the Rhyme, and freestyle--the practice of improvized poetry/rapping--solidified itself as a legitimate art in my mind. Then I showed my friends. Thus began the cypher: a circle of people participating in a joint freestyle session.

Freestyling is literally the regurgitation of exactly what's on your mind. When you can put two things together, and not just words that rhyme, but a strand of ideas, you are engaging in a spiritual activity. A release. A creative outlet. A form of reflection and understanding. In a group this energy is magnified and the sky is the limit. A pure, raw, spontaneous medium of expression. Saying exactly what's on the forefront of your thoughts before you even process it. A sharpening tool for your brain but also an x-ray of what the hell is going on in there.

Naturally, I received some skepticism for my interest. Less open-minded people cringed at my profuse mistakes. Many people just can't handle failure, and while it's tolerable with a guitar or at the piano, mistakes of the mouth are frowned upon in public. Perhaps because sometimes it may seem like a blatant attempt at self-deprecation, and in some cases it may be. But it can also be an attempt to manufacture meaning without prior contemplation in a creative and entertaining way. Off the cuff. Freestyle. Go.

My mom said she didn't understand what the words meant. I told her I didn't understand what the painting behind her meant, that doesn't mean it's not art.

I have chosen this as my art. In conjunction with the musical talents of some of my friends, we have composed sequences that have combined to create incredible experiences.

I've seen the documentary multiple times with other people, and have watched them view freestyle in a different light afterwards. What they once thought as "beneath" them has now become entertaining, impressive, even profound. I've been listening to Black Star on Pandora, and have found ample time to practice during the shower and ten minute walks. The best way to get better is to do it. Nothing beats the impromptu cypher.

As a student of literature, I thought after watching it what is it to know language? Sure, some classmates may be able to define new historicism, but can they tell stories, express grief or excitement using different mediums? We also study English to be able to analyze texts, to understand what the reader is saying, but what the documentary portrays is that some people, without college degrees, possess an uncanny ability to manipulate language. I don't mean to imply that english class should be a gigantic cypher workshop--although most likely I wouldn't mind--but perhaps that departments should have a wider perspective about what it means to understand and manipulate language.

The documentary includes the battle scene and culture. I prefer to collaborate with those I'm freestyling with. I don't want to focus on another person's flaws. I aspire to tell stories. To inspire but also to challenge. To celebrate. Complain. Criticize. Detect. Theorize. Reflect. When done well, it can be a pretty powerful medium.

You can watch the documentary in segments on youtube, buy it on amazon, or I'll lend it to you. If you want to cypher or beat box, spots are always open.



No comments: