What do we think about all the time? Allen says it's the psychic decisions that weigh on our minds (how we want to phrase this to a friend, when and where we want to schedule our meeting, when we will fit in time to go to the supermarket, etc). In other words, open loops that we have not processed.
Allen recommends that we process everything right away, or we decide that we will process everything at a later date. His theory is that he only wants to think a thought once. He wants to have reliable systems for everything so he can get store a thought and be confident that he will be able to find it.
Since reading it, I've organized my internet bookmarks and my word documents into labeled files, follow a "Next Actions philosophy", schedule times to check everything (email, phone, facebook), and schedule times to have a clear head (turn everything off), while leaving ample time to be spontaneous. I've installed a weekly time to review my systems and take care of all the things I said I'd leave for the weekly review.
I even make my bed. Mom would be proud.
No comments:
Post a Comment