Monday, December 19, 2011

No Other Choice


Rose: "When did you know this was what you wanted to do? (Around 3:50) 
Hitchens: "When I was very small...I knew I wanted to write at any rate. I didn't know that I'd be so lucky with it...I knew there was nothing else I could do... I don't know what it's like to say have a vocation...i'm sure people do; they want to be a doctor for example... I sure knew I couldn't do that, or any of the things my mom wanted me to do, like be a lawyer. I wasn't fit for any other kind of work, so that helped me make up my mind. I just knew I wanted to write."

What do you do when you have too many choices?

***


Hitchens, through his books, Letters to a Young Contrarian and Hitch 22, inspired me to read and write more this past year. RIP




No comments: