Friday, December 31, 2010

College Activism Thoughts

Bring activism back, smart and wonderful columnist Matthew Green wrote a few weeks ago. One would think that increased connectivity would facilitate more activism, but Malcolm Gladwell debunked that theory, noting that there was far more activism in the 1960s than there is today, even without cell phones and social networks to organize it. Why?

Perhaps we are just too busy nowadays, focused on becoming the resume gods we think our potential employers covet. Or maybe activism has simply changed forms. Instead of massive protesting, we are more apt to engage in community service or tutor children at programs like 826 and PALMA. This seems implausible though, considering that most students I know don't do this type of thing.

The first question is why aren't as active as we used to be. The response is, well, should we be active for activism sake? I quote the Daily article: "I only ask that you read the news, and as you look ahead toward the life you'll soon build, you find ways to make a change in the circles you inhabit." But what does change look like? There are tons of "causes" to support. Hypothetically, one might respond by mentioning progressive causes, like DADT and the DREAM act, and I might agree, so why am I not protesting?

I am not exactly sure where I stand on this. In a class my freshman year we examined a quote that went something along of the lines of "You already know enough. It is up to you to act." I disagreed--acknowledging my and my fellow students ignorance in issues we have just learned about--and still do. Hesitatingly, I say that my current activism is less about protesting--although I acknowledge that it is at times cowardly to avoid taking firm stands--and more about intellectual training: reading more, writing more, and informing myself by debating with both sides of an issue, an opportunity available through MPU.

Students, Adults, if it does, how does activism play a part in your life?


No comments: