Wednesday, August 18, 2010

My letter to Cresskill High School

This is what I sent them a few months ago:

Principal Eftychiou,


Upon coming back to Cresskill, I've been thinking: There's not really a venue for college students to channel their energy or efforts when they return to Cresskill, whether during the summer or over breaks. We come back for weeks or even months at a time, yet we're no longer affiliated with the high school--which is unfortunate because whether assisting via clubs, classes, or panels for students or parents, I believe engagement by college students can bridge gaps between HS students and parents and supplement CHS education by providing them with a widened perspective and appropriate role models.


Many people have differences of opinion regarding what alumni should do. All I am interested in doing is giving them, us, a role that we can fit into. Louie Zimick spearheaded a group called Cresskill Gives Back, which focuses primarily on fundraising for town events. Jacob Grunberger, Emily Olcott and I, have been thinking more along the lines of dialogue with students, and parents, and assistance with extra curricular events (Olcott with theatre & music, Grunberger with debate, Pryanka Gumaste a panel with parents & students about what they can expect in college, etc.)


The logistics are vague, but I believe they are also secondary. What needs to happen before that is an agreement that college students would like to participate in anyway they can be helpful during their stay in Cresskill and that their participation would indeed be helpful to the CHS community.


Granted, not all graduated high school students are appropriate role models for CHS students, and that presents a logistical discussion for the future. But I believe that the knowledge that CHS students can play a part after they graduate will make them feel more invested in their school and their community. Let me know if you have thought of this concept before and what you think of it now.


I am curious to hear what you have to say. I am leaving June 13 to work in Florida for the summer, but I am open to either start a discussion via email or in person in the next week or over one of my breaks. Take your time--I understand the last few weeks of school can be busy.

Cheers to the upcoming graduation,

Erik


The principle and assistant principle replied nicely, requesting a meeting in the future, however a two month trip to IMG put this on halt. Being that I'm going back to university next week, this will most likely pick up come December. Cresskillians, contact me if you'd like to participate or have any thoughts.

Others, let me know if you live in a less active town and what you think about it. Especially if your in college, do you feel like your using that your breaks, say that month in December, wisely?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Erik,
I think it is an amazing idea, the immediate thing I would do is to create an online community for Cresskill HS Alumni (that are in college now). You or the school can use facebook for that obviously. The school should have a staff member participating/hosting.

ephy

Erik said...

Good idea, and thank you for the praise. I plan to meet with the principal during the December break, as many college kids will also be around.